Monday, November 28, 2005


Larry the Cable Guy and Random Thoughts


Last night I went to see Larry the Cable Guy's stand-up comedy act at the Morris Center in downtown SB. I have never laughed so hard and felt so guilty about it in all my life. First of all, let me say I was one of the few people not wearing camouflage, NASCAR, or a picture of a big breasted woman. Did you know that they make camouflage Notre Dame hats? They do. I saw two of them. The show was hysterical. It was basically anything I have ever thought of saying, but haven't for fear of being fired, beaten up, or looked down upon by my more sophisticated friends because it was very un-p.c. Except his version of it had more use of fart noises and the words "titty bar" than the version in my head did.

Here's one of his less offensive jokes, but still offensive enough that you should get an idea of what I'm talking about:
"i got into an elevator the other day with a guy that had one of those neckbraces with the halo thing bolted into his head. All of the sudden he starts feeling around in his pockets and looking all panicked and I ask him what's wrong. He says 'I think I lost my car keys.' I say 'that doesn't surprise me. you'd probably lose your head if it wasn't screwed on.'"
You can't say things like that!! Think them, yes...say them, no. For those of you who went to Notre Dame, remember Matt Bleacher and the little censor guy in his head that died...this was that.

During the show, Larry the Cable guy could may have offended the following people: Koreans, Chinese, Mexicans, Ethiopians, African Americans, short people, fat people, midgets, amputees, midget amputees, gays, the deaf, the blind, Jews, Catholics, any one who doesn't have a voice box and needs one of those amplifier things to talk, and people with Turrets Syndrome. I'm sure there's more but that's all I remember. All in all though, a delightful show.

Now onto my 5 random thoughts:

1) The Stanford Cardinal (cardinal as in the color not the bird). I recently discovered that before Stanford was the Cardinal, they were the Indians. Understandable why they would want to change the mascot. But was Cardinal really the best you could do? What were the other suggestions that Cardinal beat out? Were there other colors? Like could they possibly have been named the Stanford Teal? were there other intangible items? Like possible gravity? or west?

2) I went shopping in Chicago this past Friday and saw many interesting sights. Including a person in a full fox costume protesting fur coats outside Marshall Fields and arguing with a police man. That however is not #2. The Abercrombie store was having a special promotion where if you donated a dollar to Toys for Tots you could have your picture taken with a shirtless Abercrombie model...not a bad idea. Just as I was passing the Abercrombie store about 20 guys in full Naval dress uniforms walked into Abercrombie, surrounding shirtless Abercrombie model guy...suddenly a secret fantasy of mine was realized.

3) Chris Thomas basketball jerseys are now on sale at the discount Notre Dame store for $9.99. What does that say about Chris Thomas?

4). My trainer Indiana (yes, her name is Indiana and she lives in Indiana...get over it.) had on this shirt that said: I can make you hot and sweaty and last a whole hour. Then the back said: Come train with me.

5). Another thought from the gym: The bottle on the water cooler said "this water was purified through reverse osmosis" Then there was a little sun which also said in it "Reverse osmosis!!!" My question is can anyone explain what reverse osmosis is and secondly should we care? I know osmosis has something to do with the transportation of water in cells and that I did a lab on it involving a potato in Advanced Bio in High School, but should this make me buy that water over another brand of water.

That's all for now.