Sunday, February 05, 2006

Resume Don't's
Just a little background information. I work for a sports related museum that was recently accepting resumes for a part-time cashier manager. If you are applying for the position, here are some things I really don't care about, that should be left off your resume.

  • Handwritten on the bottom "I'm an avid die-hard Ohio State Fan" --I don't care. Unless you're Jim Tressel's daughter (which we have had apply for an internship)
  • Objective: "To achieve a full time position within the medical industry" This is neither full time nor medical. If your not smart enough to change that objective, I'm not hiring you
  • "Education: 1984-Certificate in Interior Design. 1997-Culinary Certificate" This isn't really bad, though neither one is relevant. I just thought it was funny. Hmm..You designed rooms for 13 years and finally decided your real calling in life was to be a chef
  • "Relevant Job Experience: I got up every morning and picked sweet corn." Sorry, not seeing the relevance.
  • "Interests: I've started to get into running a little bit" -well, whoop-dee-doo! That by the way is the exact phrasing used as well
  • "Past job experience: Host of my own TV show on Public Access TV" - I just thought this was funny because we all know what kind of people host TV shows on public access.
  • This person was a waitress and underneath her responsibilities she had "Refilled salt, pepper, sugar, cream, condiments and napkins" Do we really need to list all those things. Let's be a little more concise, can we?
  • "Work Experience: Hooter's -- Hooter's Girl" -Say Waitress!!
  • "Training and Skills: Dangerous Goods, 727 Qualified" I don't know what that means let alone caring
  • On the cover letter: "In addition, I have successfully provide my resume to go with this cover letter" -do you want a cookie? I hope you provided your resume isn't that the whole point of a cover letter? This same cover letter also said she could provide me with excellent references if needed, though there were references already provide. Are those the non-excellent references?
  • "Awards and Honors: Soccer award for best mental attitude towards soccer" --was this when she was seven or what?
  • "Objective: To be a good employee as I was before" - back ground this person got fired from the people who own our gift shop for stealing, and wearing inappropriate clothing to work

3 comments:

Marcia said...

ummm... the person who got their interior design certificate in 84 and then a culinary certificate in 97? Yeah, they didn't do interior design for 13 years. They did crack.

Anonymous said...

come on, you mean to say you're NOT Dangerous Goods, 727 qualified??!? i thought everyone was!!

Jen said...

Hilarious. We once had a person apply at our work with "Viper" as his name. I work at a PR firm. Scary.