Friday, February 24, 2006

Weird Flight

A recent flight of my was pretty bizarre. First of all, there was a three year old behind me who as soon as the door closed decided she wanted off the flight. As it was taxi-ing she started crying hysterically because she didn't like the bumps, and midway through the flight when the flight attendant asked her mom to put her seat belt back on she started yelling "It hurts! It hurts!" Weird.

But even weirder was the guy beside me. We were chatting a little while waiting for everyone else to get on the plane and about 5 minutes into the conversation says "I'm going to Dallas for experimental treatment because I'm dying of leukemia" in a very matter of fact way. In the same way, that someone would have said "I'm going to Dallas to purchase cattle." I, of course, have no idea how to respond and just kind of nod in an "oh, that's interesting" manner. Other than that he was completely normal. But what was I supposed to say in that situation? "Man, that really has gotta suck"?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should have said "Sucks to be you, I'm gonna buy me some cattle!"

Seriously though, you should have offered to switch seats with the 3-year-old so that she was sitting next to leukemia man. Now THAT would have been a fun flight.

Speaking of which, who goes around telling random strangers that they're dying? He could have been a LOT more subtle.