Wednesday, August 16, 2006


Lunch Bag, the Saga Continues

So to paraphrase the lunch bag situation so far, I bought a really cute purple lunch bag that really looks like a purple purse. My mom (knowing that I needed a lunch bag, but not knowing that I had already bought one) sent me a hideous lime green lunch bag that looks like something I may have used when I was 7 and it was the 80's (see picture). I didn't tell her that I had already gotten one.

My mom is coming in next week and will undoubtedly be snooping around my apartment. Do I a) pretend to happily use the hideous green lunch bag, b) tell her I found the purple one on sale really cheap after she had already given me the green one (a complete lie), c) do my best to hide both lunch bags and hope it never comes up?

3 comments:

Marcia said...

I would do c), but hide the purple one BELOW the green one, so she assumes that you use it more.

And also - if it comes up, LIE, LIE, LIE. She'll say something like, "How's the new lunchbag working out?" and you say, "It's fabulous!" and she'll mention something like, "I bet the color makes it easy to keep track of!" and you reply, "Sure does, Mom, want some Chex Mix?" and she replies, "Thank you, I do, but how is it at keeping things cold?" and you have to say, "It's the coldest-keeping lunchbag I've ever had. I couldn't live without it. Isn't it time to do something else now?"

Or, at least, that's how it would be with my mom.

Anonymous said...

Is it too late to suggest option d) tell her (some polite variation of) the truth?
Something along the lines of "I appreciate the thought, but I had already bought this one, and I really like it. I hope you're not upset."

...or you could go with lying. Say you had a friend over who brought a very poorly-behaved dog, who chewed the thing to shreds. On second thought, I guess that's about as credible as "The dog ate my homework".

Never mind. Listen to Marcia.

Jsto said...

Another example that men know nothing about women