Monday, January 29, 2007


Day 2: The King and the Sea Turtle

I think some time I'm going to write a short story called "The King and the Sea Turtle" and its going to be about a mean king who becomes nice somehow with a sea turtle involved.

Anyway, back to the trip. When we arrived the night before, we saw down at the end of the hall a guy in a suit sitting on a chair outside the door of one of the rooms. My parents said there was a different guy there in the afternoon when they had arrived. Two people from the hotel had come to de-feather my parent's bed (my mom's allergic to feathers) and my dad asked one of them if that was a bodyguard at the end of the hall. "Yes, there's a king staying there," the guy answered. It had to be true because the lady with him gave him a dirty look like he wasn't supposed to tell us.

My dad was obsessed with the king and talked about it all day. (Example: I would ask: "Do you have any bottled water?" My dad would answer: "I'll go see if the King has any bottled water.") When we were on the beach, we saw the King out on his balcony. At least we are assuming it was the king, unless there was another man in a bathrobe in the King's room.

I woke up that morning at like 5 am and while I was bored waiting for everyone else to get up I was looking at all the hotel information and other tourist stuff while sitting out on the Lanai. They had aquacise!! So I called the fitness place to get details. 11:00 Aquacise in the Hibiscus pool and you don't have to pre-register. AWESOME!! Guess what...they never showed. I was pissed.

For breakfast, we went to the little hospitality suite for free breakfast and had really good granola with dried tropical fruit and macadamia nuts. Yummy.

We spent the day at the beach and just off the shore was a coral reef. It was by the point pictured above. My family has our own snorkel gear so it was really great for us. The only problem is that sometimes when the water was rough you felt like you were being pulled towards the jagged rocks...so that's a bad thing. My mom and dad and I went out to snorkel after lunch (we had lunch at this restaurant by the pool and my mom freaked out when she saw that the hamburger and fries was $17). It was pretty good snorkeling...really calm, clear water and colorful fish. At one point, I noticed my mom was kinda flailing so I looked up to see if she was ok...she was. When I looked back down in the water there was a sea turtle right below me. It was so cool and he didn't really care that we were there and was like two feet away. If you ask my dad, he claims that he rode the turtle. We also saw a snowflake eel which basically looked like a snake and was really creepy.

That's pretty much it for day two. We went back to the hospitality suite for dinner (hors d'eouvres) and an open bar. Woohoo!! Then we walked to some shops nearby and my knee was killing me anytime I would go up or down stairs. When I rubbed it, hoping to make it feel better, some stuff was moving around in there when I walked...so I guess I'll have to get that checked out.

No comments: