Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year's

This was a very traditional Pennsylvania New Year's for me. Every little town has its own "drop" on New Year's eve. Like how New York City drops the big lit ball. Danielle and I have been working our way from town to town to experience the different celebrations. So far we've done the Goat Drop in Fowlmouth and the Pickle Drop in Dillsburg. This year it was on to the Bologna drop in Lebanon. We had to overcome inclement weather and Danielle's bizarre fear of Lebanon, but we crossed it off our list. When I say bologna, it's not the Oscar Mayer bologna that most people think of. It's Lebanon bologna and unless you are from Pennsylvania, you probably have no idea what I'm talking about. The bologna that was actually being dropped was 7 feet long and was supported in a wooden cage that dangled from a fireman's ladder. (I had originally posted a picture of it, but then thought it was too dark and you couldn't see what it was anyway). There were lots of interesting people at the big event. I had a fried bologna sandwich but skipped the "free bologna samples" which was basically a bag of chunks of bologna with people sticking their grubby paws in and taking as many as they can. Disgusting!!




New Year's day, I was cooking at my apartment for my mom, dad and grandma. So after watching the Penn State game, everyone came over for the traditional Pennsylvania Dutch meal--pork and sauerkraut. It's good luck to have pork and sauerkraut for New Year's and I believe it. In 2001, we skipped the meal and I had a crappy year.

For my New Year's Resolution, I've decided to take a holistic approach and will do one good thing for each my mind, body and spirit every day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not from PA but my mom is. So I know exactly what Lebanon bologna is. It's actually a lot more like salami, except not as greasy and gross.

I can only imagine what a 7 foot stick of Lebanon bologna would look like as it was being dropped. Definitely a sight to see, even if only just once.

And, is it just me, or would it be safe to say that 2001 would have been a bad year even without the pork and sauerkraut? :(