Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Psychotic Thought of the Day

Today I had off work and went to the spa. They had plastic cups like this one all over with coolers full of flavored water.


Printed on the cup was this:
If you can't read that, it says "Made from corn. 100% compostable." My first thought when I read this was ...does that mean I can eat it? Not as a snack or anything, but if I happened to get locked in the spa storage closet with no food would I be able to sustain myself on plastic corn cups?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uhh... that is some bizarre thought process you've got going on in that brain of yours.

Pay attention to the wording. It says "Made FROM Corn", not "Made OF Corn". There's still probably all sorts of inedible crap in there (inks, dyes, etc.) that you probably wouldn't want to eat.

Although, if I was life-threateningly starving, and it was either the cups or nothing... I might give it at least a thought.

Anonymous said...

I believe to words we are searching for here are "NON-Toxic." biodegradable plastic is made from corn oil, that has gone through a process similar to petroleum -based oils to create a plastic polymer. It's the same stuff as bio-diesel, and CFC free styrofoam cups. while you COULD eat it and you wouldn't die, it would have no nutritional value whatsoever... plus you would probably cut up your mouth something awful. PS. The packing pellets used in the mail room are now made of cellulose (plant matter) they are 100% edible but taste like rice cakes.