Monday, February 18, 2008

Let the Training Begin

I have told some of you, but for those of you that don't know I signed up to do the 3 Day, 60 mile walk for Breast Cancer in Philadelphia in October....because I was temporarily insane. Anyway, I decided that I should probably start getting ready for it now. I'd done 6 miles on the treadmill at the gym without any drama. So yesterday morning, in temperatures just slightly above freezing, I laced up my walking shoes, filled up my water bottle, charged up my ipod and set off to a local walking trail to do 10 miles (5 miles out and 5 miles back). Honestly, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The first two miles were the hardest because after about a half hour of walking I hit the two mile mark and was think "I walked all that way and its only 2 miles. That's crap!" But I kept going and because its an out and back type trail, when I hit 5 miles I had no choice but to walk the 5 miles back. I was also praying that my ipod wouldn't die because the worst thing was that I got bored, but it didn't die and so I was ok. Plus I don't know which way the wind was blowing whether it was from Hershey or the M&M Mars factory in Elizabethtown, but the last mile smelled like chocolate the entire time, so that was nice. Then I got home and realized I had only walked 1/6 of what I'd be doing in October and wanted to cry.

No comments: