Monday, March 17, 2008

Ingredients for the Perfect St. Patrick's Day Party

My uncle held a St. Patrick's Day Party, which turned out to be pretty good.

1) Irish Food: The menu for the evening included Irish Soda Bread, Corned Beef, Cabbage and Mashed Potatoes. (There was also rye bread, swiss cheese, sauerkraut and Thousand Island Dressing for anyone that wanted to make a Reuben)

2) Irish Drink: Bailey's, Harp, and Guinness were all readily available. As well as limeade for the kids (hey, its green). I, however, chose to drink a Blue Hawaiian wine cooler. I was told that if I mixed it with orange juice it would make a "Green Leprechaun" but I didn't.

3) Ridiculous Irish Themed Desserts

I think a giant cake decorated like the Irish flag counts. (Side note: my cousin's birthday is on St. Patrick's Day). Each section of the flag was a different flavor. The flavors were lemon, mint chocolate chip, and butter pecan. I'm not sure that was a good idea. Other Irish themed desserts were green mint fudge (with '69 food coloring in it), and two different types of shamrock shaped cookies. Actually the cookies my grandma made were clubs (as in hearts, diamonds, spades, clubs), but she thought they were shamrocks.

4) Festive Irish Decorations. I didn't take a picture, so you'll just have to take my word on it.

5) Odd green Irish apparel.

I rest my case.

6) Traditional Irish names. My cousin's name is Patrick McMinn.

7) Bloodshed. Ok, so we didn't get this but we were darn close when my ex-con cousin and my aunt began to state their case on why OJ Simpson is completely innocent (apparently their belief is that his son did it) and my other cousin and his wife told them that they were morons. But my grandmother broke it up because it could actually escalate to physical violence.

8) Irish music. There wasn't this either. At least, I don't think there was. Not that we could've heard it above the screaming kids (and adults). We did have on some special Foods of Ireland program on the Food Network (at least until the Big East Championship game came on).

All in all it was a pretty good party. My mom even brought crafts for the kids to do, so that each kid could make their own shamrock pin. (Is that what I have to look forward to in 25 years?)

No comments: