Thursday, May 15, 2008

A 3-Day Update

I thought it was time for an update on my training, fundraising, etc for the 3-day in October. Sunday was a big step in my 3-day efforts. I decided to do my third 10 mile walk. I had to switch my training location because my cousin told me that women had been sexually assaulted at my previous location. That might only be an urban legend but even if it is, I wouldn't be able to walk without constantly assessing the people and woods around me. So I mapped out a 1.5 mile loop in my neighborhood. This is good and bad. 1) It's closer to my apartment which is both good and bad. Should it start to rain, I'm only at most .75 miles from my house. But its also bad because I can choose to give up at any point where on my other trail it was out and back, so I had no choice but to finish it in order to get back to my car. 2) I'm now walking on cement vs gravel. Again good and bad. I no longer get gravel in my shoe, but it's actually a lot tougher on my feet than I expected. 3) there are more people around. Good and bad. Good because should I suddenly break a leg or something there is help nearby. Bad because I'm walking loops and get weird looks at about my third loop. I had a lot harder time with this walk than my other ones. My shoes gave me blisters for the first time (I thought about taking pictures of them for the blog, but decided not to gross you out), so I guess I have no choice but to spend some money on some good walking shoes. My body also kinda gave out afterwards. The next day I had a fever, body aches, chills, cold sweat and intense malaise.

The other thing that happened Sunday was that my cousin in law Heidi held a fundraiser for my walk at Sam's Club. She called me Friday to tell me she was doing something for Sunday and asked who checks should be made out to. I expected something small like a bake sale, selling hotdogs or maybe cakes (since that is her area of knowledge.) Boy, was I wrong. I stopped by Sunday to see what was going on. She had cupcakes (like the one pictured...thanks to my cousin Aubrey, the cupcake model with the green fingernails), ribbons, paint a flower pot, candles, bears with vases and roses, and Mother's Day cards. I haven't heard how much she made, but it seemed to go well.

Currently I'm at 18% of my goal. That doesn't include whatever Heidi collected on Sunday, but even with that I still have a long way to go! Thanks to everyone who has contributed. If you haven't contributed yet, there's still plenty of time. Even a small amount helps towards the goal ($15 would be 25 cents per mile, $30 would be 50 cents per mile). To sponsor my walk, you can either click on the horribly large picture to the right, or click here.

No comments: