Sunday, June 29, 2008

Savannah Day 4: It's a Twister!

For today's activity we were supposed to have a "cassette guided walking tour", but because I'm a big trouble making bitch, I basically told the people in charge the night before that no one wanted to do that, so instead we had more free time. We decided to go to the Savannah history museum, which was pretty lame, but I had to pretend it was at least semi-cool for the sake of the girls.

Then after lunch we went on a riverboat cruise down the Savannah river. As the boat got back to port was just when all the trouble started brewing. It began pouring down rain. Our original plan (pre-rain), was to do some more shopping on River Street and go buy pralines at the Savannah Candy Kitchen. The rain let up just as we were getting off the boat, so my travel buddies and I decided to try to make it to the candy kitchen (or at least as far towards the candy kitchen as possible.) It was fine except that there was a black sand (from where this came I'm not sure) pelting us. Luckily the wind was at our backs so we just got sandblasted in the back rather than in our face. We made it to the candy kitchen. Just then my cell rings. It's one of the other chaperones. Apparently there is a tornado warning and we have to stay in a "safe location" for the next 45 minutes. Ahh...stuck in a candy store (with an adjoining ice cream parlor) what can be better. Poor Hannah though had spent all her money. When the coast is clear, we emerge from the candy store and walk about 5 feet when a tornado siren sounds. Are you kidding me? Everyone else seems to ignore it, but since I'm a responsible adult in charge of two minors, we duck into a peanut store...because nothing goes better after sweets than a little salty. Everything was fine.

For dinner we went to the Lady and Son's (Paula Deen's restaurant), which was fabulous. Lots of yummy southern food. Though I've learned that I'm not really a big fan of collard greens. I guess I'd eat them again, but I'm not going to hunt them down. I also got really hyped up on sweet tea and peach cobbler. We didn't see any of the Deen family (though some of our group had run into Bobby Deen in the shop the day before).

After dinner was another swim party, which was basically five 13-year-olds hanging on me. FUN! At one point, I accidentally held one of the girls under water and when she told the lifeguard that I was trying to drown her, he said "I don't really blame her."

Then at around 11 pm, Hannah, Molly and I decided to have an ice cream, and wheat thins party. Then went and got a pint of Ben and Jerry's down in the hotel shop and we had wheat thins from earlier in the day. At one point, I was making little ice cream sandwiches with wheat thins and Fudge Brownie ice cream...pretty good actually. We also tried Mr. Dipolo's barbecue sauce on the wheat thins, but that wasn't as good. We made a slight mess with the chocolate ice cream on the bed spread, but I'm sure that will come out in the wash...right?

No comments: