Monday, July 14, 2008

Cut and Paste Kangaroo = Trouble

I thought I had made it out of "Australia Week" without any further problems except for the Polar Bear/Baby conversation. I was wrong. Last Friday, I had to cover a site for Charlene who was out because her daughter was sick. Charlene was doing Australia last week. So I pulled out the cut and paste simple kangaroo activity without giving it a second thought. Luckily this conversation was between the counselor at the site and a little girl. I was not involved except to overhear. For a little background, the counselor was bored and decided to make a kangaroo herself. The kangaroo that is being cut and pasted has a little baby kangaroo peeking out its pouch.

Counselor: What color should I make the baby kangaroo?
Girl: Red (that would seem like a very unusual color for a baby kangaroo except the that counselor's big kangaroo was blue)
Counselor: Ok
[Counselor picks up a red crayon]
Girl: Do kangaroos get married, have babies and then split up or do they just have babies?
Counselor: Um...I don't know. How about I find out and let you know on Monday?
Girl: Ok

Very quick thinking on the counselor's part unless this is the type of girl that will come on Monday expecting an answer.

No comments: