Sunday, August 03, 2008

My First Official Car Accident

I don't count when the guy hit my car in the parking lot. Friday afternoon, I was on my way to a program. I was stopped at a red light about a block away from the highway on ramp when the guy behind me just slams into my rear bumper. I'm not sure he even slowed down or used his breaks or anything. I got out, went back and the guy seemed disoriented and incoherent, so rather than deal with that directly I called information to connect me with the police...only they connected me with the Harrisonburg Police which is just slightly different than the Harrisburg Police. After about five minutes of the police officer and I getting frustrated because he can't find what street I'm on. We figure out the mistake and I finally get Harrisburg.
When the police officer arrives, I'm trying to get the guys information, but its not working too well. The guy that hit me also has his windshield wipers on even though it is a bright sunny day and he also has a hospital bracelet as well. Next the guy's entire family shows up, so I kinda just back away, stand near my car and let the policeman deal with them. Since we were right near a red light, I also got to talk to all the people stopped in their cars, which was entertaining. Anyway, everything was cleared up, the police officer told me that I could drive home since I didn't live far, but that I should drive further than that since my muffler was dragging on the ground. I didn't realize at the time, but this would later cause major issues as to whether the vehicle was "drivable" with the insurance company.

I now I have my rental car a Nissan Altima...very nice. The rental lady was impressed that I knew how to use a push button start because I guess a lot of people try sticking their key in somewhere. My car got towed to the body shop, but because it was after business hours I don't know how long it will take to get fixed. The damage is mostly by bumper (where there is actually a hole in it), but the trunk is also damaged and there's a dent on the side somehow too. We'll see. It's actually kind of a blessing that the guy hit me first because he shouldn't have been driving and would've hit something, so glad that was a practically parked car rather than having gotten on the highway and done some real damage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor little accord. Are YOU ok?