Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Polo Match

I have so much to blog about and have had so little motivation to do it. This is typically the conversation that happens in my head. "Hey, I have some time. I should blog about all that stuff that I've been meaning to...but wait Lithuania versus Croatia is on in Olympic water polo, I'll watch that instead." I keep making a list by my computer of things I intend to blog about and the list keeps growing. I have two days off though, so expect to be blog blasted (like e-mailing blasting but with blogging) or maybe not since I still have just as little motivation, but with more time.

A few months ago, we got a call for the MS Society that was holding a charity polo match and they wanted someone to do kids activities and hand out information. I immediately volunteered because I had never been to a polo match (horses not pool...to answer my dad's question) and who knew there was a polo field anywhere near me.

The day started off with terrier races, which was funny because some of the terriers didn't really know they were supposed to be racing, so they just stayed in their little box or went over to where their owner was standing. Then at one point, they tried to put up little jumps for the dogs to go over, but most of the dogs ended up crawling under them.

After that, it was time for the polo match: West Shore Polo Club (that would be the West Shore of the Susquehanna River in PA) vs the Maryland Polo Club. It was very interesting and the announcer did an awesome job of describing what was going on for all of us polo novices. The Maryland Polo Club had some pro polo player from Peru which kinda pissed me off. It was like bringing in a ringer. At halftime they had the stomping of the divots. Just like in Pretty Woman. I don't really get the excitement though cause most people just go out on the field and talk and drink wine (not that I'm opposed to doing either of those), but there is very little divot stomping going on. I left after the 4th chukker (there are 6 chukkers in the game..and it can also be spelled chukka) because I was hot and at that point West Shore was leading by 1, so I'm not really sure who won.

No comments: