Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Wine Tour

I'm out in California with my parents. It's really warm. 86 degrees yesterday which is a nice change from the freezing temperatures of South Bend and Harrisburg. Except that when I pulled the weather report up for packing it was only supposed to be low 70's and they keep pushing it back that's its staying a lot warmer for longer.

Sunday we went to 6 wineries in the Santa Ynez Valley. It was a lot of fun. My dad and I drank and my mom navigated, shopped, and drove. My mom had premapped out vineyards, but based on suggestions from people at the other wineries (and ones we accidentally drove by) that changed a little. Even though my dad split a tasting at the all the vineyards (he likes reds, and I like whites, so it worked out well). We still managed to get pretty trashed which then got my mom all pissed off. I thought it was funny though. At Firestone vineyard, I spilled a plastic cup of water all over the floor. My dad busted up laughing and by mom looked all ticked off.

We started at around 10am local time (we made sure to mention that we were on east coast time, so it wasn't really like we were drinking a bunch of wine that early in the morning). We stopped to lunch in Solvang and then hit one winery on the way back to Anaheim.

On the way back, we spotted a glider and my mom decided to get my dad a glider ride for his birthday. So we pulled over to the little airport (aka meadow) and signed him up. It was so funny because he was like a little kid the whole time. "Are you going to get my picture in the glider? Look how high it goes, am I going to be that high up? Are you going to wave to me." Yes, I'll take your picture. It sure does go up high. Of course, I'll wave to you. It was a really good day...until we got stuck in L.A. traffic on the way home.

No comments: