Saturday, October 17, 2009

North Carolina's New Law

As of October 1st, it is officially illegal to throw away plastic bottles (aka not recycle) in North Carolina. I'm all for recycling, but I'm not sure making a law is really going to do anything. Most of the articles I've seen on this issue basically say it's a law, but we're not really going to enforce it...huh? What's the point of having a law if you're not going to enforce it? Well, theoretically waste disposal companies can refuse your trash if it has illegal plastic bottles in it. Really? Do we really think garbage men are going to look in a trash can, open the trash bag in the can, see a plastic bottle and then leave it at the curb? I think not. I really can't decide how I feel about this new law because recycling is good...obviously, but is it me or does this just seem like we're living in a land of make believe and passing laws just because we can?

No comments: