Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My Fashion Czar

A couple of weeks ago I went to a guest speaker that talked about the importance of having a mentor. She actually suggested that you should have a "round table" of mentors. (eg: an industry mentor, a personal life mentor, a career mentor, etc.) I've decided that I'm naming czars instead of mentors because any word with a "z" is infinitely cool.

One of the czars that I've gotten the most use out of is my "fashion czar" Marcia. Marcia has been my go to fashion consultant since we roomed together in college, now she just has a cool title to go along with it. I pretty much listen to whatever she says (though some ideas I understand but totally veto...aka leggings as pants). Recently we had an e-mail correspondence regarding my attire for my upcoming high school reunion:

Me: Ok, fashion czar....I have my 10 year high school reunion in 2 weeks. What do I wear? Please keep in mind that this is in Middletown, PA at a bar and that the invitation actually had written on it "please no hats or sneakers." ha
Marcia: some sort of business-casual dress. That's my first reaction. Hold, pls, and I will find some photographic evidence.
Marcia: are you a member of ruelala.com?
Me:No, I'm not...what is it?
Marcia: oh good god.

And that's why I need a fashion czar...especially a fashion czar that lives in NYC. I'm in Winston-Salem, not exactly a fashion mecca. Today I ordered a dress online for $14.99...let's just hope it comes in time, fits, and is not totally ugly....my mom on the other hand told me to wear nothing to my reunion. "It just says no hats or sneakers. It doesn't say you have to wear clothes." Funny, mom, funny.

No comments: