Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Sometimes B-school Can Be Fun

I know I still have to blog about my Thanksgiving break. I haven't forgotten, but also I haven't really been motivated either.

Today was our last OB (Organizational Behavior) class. As a "fun" review, we split up into groups, and each group picked an OB concept and a mode of presentation out of a hat. So for example, my group picked Onboarding and Tragedy. (Onboarding is the process of getting new people up to speed and acclimated with the organization...for anyone that didn't know.) Other modes were rap, country song, poetry, etc.

For our tragedy we decided that pretty much everyone in the skit had to kill themselves. My friend Ahkesha was our "new hire". She came in addressed her "supervisor" Ben and asked where she should go. (PS this was all done in British accents because tragedy is just better with British accents). Ben said he didn't have time for her and told her to go ask around. She proceeded to walk around to various audience members and ask them if they knew where she should go, which of course they didn't. She found an empty desk and with nothing to do proceeded to fall asleep.

Enter me, playing the IT person. I was bringing in her computer so that she could actually do work. Seeing that she was asleep, but assuming she had killed herself (because that's what happens in tragedies), I blame myself for not having her computer to her on time and proceed to hang myself with the computer power cord. (which of course was met with raucous laughter).

Enter Manibou, playing the HR person with a stack of HR paperwork for Ahkesha to fill out. Again thinking that Ahkesha is dead and that he should've been there to greet her is guilt ridden and paper cuts his wrists and bleeds to death. (again raucous laughter. I also couldn't help but laughing as I lay "dead" on the floor)

Ben enters (as the supervisor) blames himself...blah blah blah...staple to the heart. End of Ben.

Ahkesha wakes up, sees the death that she has caused. Spouts a line from Julius Ceasar and flings herself out a window. (not really....in reality she pushed the white board up, said her line, jumped, and did a trailing off "ahhhhhhhh").

Pretty grim, but also hysterical. The other methods of death that did not make it into our play (because we didn't have enough people) were a paper clip in the electrical socket and bludgeoning oneself with a heavy paperweight (we didn't have a heavy paperweight to use as a prop). Fun class!

No comments: